Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sarah Noelle

Saturday, June 01, 2002


Sarah Noelle

Four years ago today a very special little girl came into this world earlier than she should have. We're guessing that she was a feisty little thing and was ready to meet her family.

Because she was 4 months premature, she and her mommy almost died during delivery. Jackie had pre-eclampsia. I read up on this as much as I could and still have trouble understanding why this would happen.

I was lucky enough to be one of the very first people to see little 1 lb, 1 oz Sarah. She was so tiny and red in her little incubator. The next day less than 24 hours later, I was actually able to go into NICU and see her up close. She stuck her tongue out at me, so it's obvious she was just like her mother!

I had to go home, I lived six hours away, two states away and it hurt me to have to leave my friend and my new "niece" and their families. I knew, however, that she would be in great hands.

In August I went back down and Sarah had put on some weight, but was still in NICU. Still on machines to help her breathe. Of course, I talked to her and said I was her Auntie Lisa and of course...she stuck her tongue out at me. Her mother, Jackie, just thought this was the funniest thing she would ever experience.
I was also lucky enough to be there when Sarah got to put on her first little pjs AND she was held by her mommy and daddy for the very first time. I took TONS of pictures. Jackie took one of me, over little Sarah, with my hand on her back...the span of my hand was just a little shorter than the length of her body.

November came around and I had a phone message that Sarah would be home for Thanksgiving. She was off the vent and getting stronger. Sadly, that didn't happen. She was put back on the vent and other machinery.

My heart dropped when I got a call in January that little Sarah Noelle died. She was with her daddy when she died and her little body just couldn't take it anymore.

Steve (David's brother) and I, who just over a year before were in that same church as Best Man and Matron of Honor for this wonderful couple were now given the task of being pallbearers and burying their most beautiful daughter.

Sadly, Dave and Jackie weren't the only parents who lost a child that year. The month earlier my friend Gina's son died after battling to heal after a car accident that he was in several months before. He was a teenager. A few years before that Nina died. She was in her 20s. I thought she'd be the youngest person I'd ever know to die. Then Chris. Then Sarah.

Each family reacted differently to the death of their respective children. Jackie now works at her church. She is a teacher to the 2 year olds. THEY love her almost as much as she loves them. The sweetest part is they all know Sarah. Sure, none of them ever met her, but Jackie keeps her memory alive. This Sunday there will be flowers on the altar at their church in memory of Sarah Noelle. I'm sure Sarah will be smiling down on all of them.

I tell everyone that although this story of Sarah is a sad one, she taught many people, including me, the true meaning of unconditional love.

I have her picture close to me. She was not my child, but she watches over me every day. My sweet Sarah. My guardian angel.

smiles, Lulu
- Lulupallooza - 6/1/2002 10:36:02 AM

No comments: